Thursday, May 5, 2011

Upcoming conferences


Here are some upcoming conferences of interest that I want to highlight.


Pacific Northwest Economic Conference: Fixing Global Finance

If anyone is around Victoria, BC next week, I will be on a panel at the Pacific Northwest Regional Economic Conference on May 13, 2011 discussing Fixing Global Finance, with Yves Smith of Naked Capitalism and Marion Wrobel of the Canadian Bankers Association. The conference runs May 12-13.


The inflation-deflation debate continues
In addition, AIMA Canada is running a debate on May 25, 2011 in Toronto entitled Inflation or Deflation, which risk should you prepare for? I have been writing about inflation-deflation debate since mid-2009. There are some well-thought analysis on both sides. I believe that many deflationists are confused about is the meaning of the term inflation (see my previous comment here). There is little or no inflation in consumer goods (TV and cars) but signs of massive asset inflation (commodities, collectibles, etc.) Those who watch CPI or core CPI will find little or no inflation, while those who watch commodity prices will find the opposite picture.

I expect to be in attendance. Come to the session if you are in or around Toronto. I am sure it will be worthwhile.

No comments: